Garage Door Lead Fitter
With a growing number of projects we are looking for an experienced lead door fitter to work alongside an assistant fitter (also a new position currently open to applicants), who together form a team that can maintain and further our reputation.
We are a family business that specialise in the supply and installation of a range of premium door systems for residential projects. Our reputation means everything and we aim for the highest standards of workmanship. So, if you consider yourself to be someone who:
- Genuinely cares about their work, pays attention to detail and consistently aims to excel.
- Wants to be part of a team that work well together, shares knowledge and ideas, and is willing to help each other.
- Is a positive and upbeat person that looks for solutions, not problems!
- Communicates well and has good customer service skills.
- Is willing to learn and progress.
- Has the usual characteristics - presentable, trustworthy, punctual, and respectful.
…We would love to hear from you.
Salary negeotiable dependent on level of skill, experience, and ability to lead and complete installations and repairs.
The diverse range of products means the role is varied, with different customers and challenges every day. Installing a basic garage door to a garage block one day, and the next installing bespoke automated garage and front door systems to unique high end projects. The majority of our work is residential/domestic installations working directly for homeowners, builder’s, and architects.
Typical tasks will include carefully removing old doors, preparing/altering openings, installing the new doors, forming studwork, cladding and silicone sealing. Most projects are automated and require the installation and commissioning of motors, control units and access control systems (basic electrical experience would be an advantage but not essential).
As lead engineer you will be expected to preview the job survey information, prepare for the job, safely load and secure the doors, liaise with customers and carry out installations to a high standard. For most installations you will be teamed with another lead or assistant fitter, although on occasion and when deemed reasonable and safe, you may be asked to carrying out installations with support at hand if needed.
Once installations are complete you will return to the office to unload and tidy in preparation of the next appointment. Tasks such as helping keep the warehouse organised, your van clean and equipped, and collecting and delivering materials are some essential part of the job.
We also provide repairs and maintenance works to garage doors and the products we install which again adds diversity to the job.
The contracted working hours are Monday to Friday 08:00 – 17:00.
Overtime – While finishing time is 17:00 teams are often required to work on if an installation needs completing. Early starts, weekends, and overnight stays are rare but when occasionally required advanced notice is provided.
Essential skills and criteria:
- A good level of multi-trade knowledge, with hands-on experience in home improvement and renovation based projects. Examples include fitting doors, windows, conservatories, kitchens, automated gates, awnings, blinds, or similar.
- The ability to plan and lead an installation job, foresee potential issues and use initiative to overcome problems.
- Understand the importance of carrying out installations as per the manufacturer’s instructions, using the correct fixings, and the potential implications of poor sub-standard installations.
- The ability to supervise and train an assistant fitter safely and positively. Wherever possible we like for assistant fitters to work towards becoming a lead fitter.
Beneficial but not essential:
- Experience with similar industry products such as windows, bifolds, sliding doors and front doors.
- Part P electrical qualification.
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Specialist Installation Occupations (Construction).
- Blue skilled worker CSCS card holder.
- Hold any current door safety certifications such the DHF Level 2 Industrial & Garage Door Safety Course.
- Have any relevant construction based training such as PASMA, first aid, working at height, abrasive wheels or similar.
Initially a new lead fitter will be required to work with our existing teams to ensure confidence in the products we install and our system of work. We also like to provide further product training when products evolve or new become available. This will mainly be in-house on the job training, but you may be expected to attend courses or specific manufacturers training if required.
A current and clean UK driver’s license is required (no convictions). We do use trailers to transport products so applicants must also be confident with the idea of towing a trailer. A “category B” license with B+E entitlement would be beneficial but not essential, and we are willing to provide training if necessary.
As lead fitter you will be provided with a fully equipped work vehicle for company use only but will include for travel to and from work (subject to conditions).
The job is very physical and requires manoeuvering large awkward products into place with care.
We are a small team and therefore you must be willing to help with other business-related tasks, examples include upkeep and maintenance of the premises and vehicles, or on occasion helping to set up and run trade stands at exhibitions.
You may be expected to participate in the marketing and promotion of the business, which includes pictures/videos for the website and social media and suchlike.
We look forward to hearing from you