Garage Door Assistant Fitter
With a growing number of projects we are looking for an assistant garage door fitter to work alongside a lead fitter (also a new position currently open to applicants), who together form an installation team that can further increase our efficiency and reputation.
We are a family business that specialise in the supply and installation of a range of premium door systems for residential projects. Our reputation means everything and we aim for the highest standards of workmanship. So, if you consider yourself to be someone who:
- Genuinely cares about their work, pays attention to detail and consistently aims to excel.
- Wants to be part of a team that work well together, shares knowledge and ideas, and is willing to help each other.
- Is a positive and upbeat person that looks for solutions, not problems!
- Communicates well and has good customer service skills.
- Is willing to learn and progress.
- Has the usual characteristics - presentable, trustworthy, punctual, and respectful.
…We would love to hear from you.
Salary negeotiable, dependent on level of skill, experience, and ability to assist in completing installations and repairs.
The diverse range of products means the role is varied, with different customers and challenges every day. From installing a basic garage door to a garage block one day, and the next installing bespoke automated garage and front door systems to high end projects. The majority of our work is residential/domestic installations working directly for homeowners, builder’s, and architects.
Typical tasks will include carefully removing old doors, preparing/altering openings, installing the new doors, forming studwork, cladding and silicone sealing. Many of our projects are automated and require the installation and commissioning of motors, control units and access control systems (basic electrical experience would be an advantage but not essential).
As an assisting engineer you will work alongside a lead fitter and help prepare for the jobs, safely load and secure the doors, and carry out installations to a high standard. Once installations are complete you will return to the depot to unload and tidy in preparation of the next appointment. Tasks such as helping keep the depot organised, your van clean and equipped, and collecting and delivering materials are some essential parts of the job.
We also provide repairs and maintenance works to garage doors and the products we install which also adds variety to the job.
For those that are capable, willing and that wish to progress we would be keen to advance assistant fitters to a lead fitter position.
The contracted working hours are Monday to Friday 08:00 – 17:00.
Overtime – While finishing time is 17:00 teams are often required to work on if an installation needs completing. Early starts, weekends, and overnight stays are rare but when occasionally required advanced notice is provided.
Essential skills and criteria:
- A basic level of multi-trade knowledge, with hands-on experience in home improvement and renovation based tasks. Examples include assisting with the fitting of doors, windows, conservatories, kitchens, automated gate systems, awnings, blinds, or similar.
- Be able to use a range of basic hand and power tools confidently and safely.
- Follow verbal or written instructions to complete a task with a reasonable level of confidence.
- A positive and confident attitude with the ability to use initiative.
Beneficial but not essential:
- Knowledge and experience in the installation of manual and automated garage doors of any type - up and overs, sectional, roller, side hinged and side sliding garage doors.
- A basic understanding of electronics and/or electrical works.
- Hold any current door safety certifications such the DHF Level 2 Industrial & Garage Door Safety Course.
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Specialist Installation Occupations (Construction)
- Blue skilled worker CSCS card holder
- Have any relevant construction based training such as PASMA, first aid, working at height, abrasive wheels or similar.
Training will mainly be in-house on the job training, with assisting fitters working alongside our existing teams to ensure confidence in the products we install and our system of work. We also like to provide further training when products evolve or new become available, and you may be required to attend courses or specific manufacturers training.
A current and clean UK driver’s license is required (no convictions). We do use small trailers to transport products so applicants must also be confident with the idea of towing a trailer. A “category B” license with B+E entitlement would be beneficial but not essential, and we are willing to provide training if necessary.
A company vehicle is not provided for assisting fitters. You will be required to meet the lead fitter each morning at the depot from where you will travel with the lead fitter in their company vehicle to attend and complete jobs. You will still be required to drive the company vehicles for reasons such collecting materials, sharing the driving, or when the lead fitter is on annual leave. For those that prove the ability and desire to progress to a lead installer, we would be keen to equip with a vehicle as soon as reasonably possible.
The job is very physical and requires manoeuvring large awkward products into place with care.
We are a small team and therefore you must be willing to help with other business-related tasks, examples include upkeep and maintenance of the premises and vehicles, or on occasion helping to set up and run trade stands at exhibitions.
You may be expected to participate in the marketing and promotion of the business, which includes pictures/videos for the website and social media and suchlike.
We look forward to hearing from you